The Love of the Father (L'Amour du Père)
After failing to discover why I couldn't upload any blogs for the past 1 1/2 months, I'm going with a new blog address. Hopefully this will work. It's been a bummer to not have been able to blog about lots of exciting stuff this past time back in Paris. My previous blog site was here.
This morning at church staff meeting, Pastor Serge shared some reflections on the love of the Father. In his analysis, the Protestant Reform of the 16th century was a return to the truth of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ alone. The 20th century was a time where the Church witnessed the power of the Holy Spirit in powerful ways, like the Azusa Street Revival and the subsequent Pentecostal and charismatic movements. He believes that the 21st century will be a period when the love of the Father comes to the forefront.
He cited a song by Brian Doerksen titled "Father to Son." This is on a CD by Vineyard Music called "Father's House." While I bought this CD a number of years ago, I rarely listed to it. This is a compilation of songs around the theme of God the Father. Paul Cain said that "When the prodigals see the Father's love in the Father's house, they will come home."
Anyway, I remember feeling moved a few years ago at the song "Father to Son" on this CD. Serge distributed photocopies of its lyrics this morning. Here are its words.
Son, you are my treasure
Son, love beyond measure
Fills my heart for you, my son,
I want to be your friend
To walk close beside you
Until all time will end
Every song you hear
Will whisper that my love is near
Golden notes and melody
Touching you in harmony
Son, your life is precious
Son, you need to know this
Truth will never die, my son,
Whenever you feel afraid
When shadowy twilight falls across your way
I had already set aside this Lenten period for special prayer for France. However, I think that I'll also be meditating on the theme of the love of the Father.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home