Friday, May 27, 2005

Healing of the Blind

As I look out my office window, it looks like a gloriously sunny day outside. I love mornings, especially the time of quiet in our apartment before everyone wakes up. It's the best time of the day to think and reflect.

2 of our 3 goldfish died yesterday. Fortunately, the kids didn't notice the first missing fish yesterday and the 2nd one died after they went to bed. I think that they got too much stimuli and transistion during the Portes Ouvertes over the weekend. In addition, we really don't know what we're doing with them, although we have tried to feed them and put something in the water that is supposed to clean it. But the smallest of the 3 is still valiantly swimming around the bowl.

Anyway, I read the account of Jesus healing of a man born blind in John 9. This story both amazes me and perturbs me.

I'm amazed at how Jesus healed him in the course of just walking with His disciples on a Sabbath day. He doesn't blame the man or his parents for his blindness. Throughout this story, the blind man has a simple and practical faith, which shows itself in his obeying Jesus' order to washin the pool of Siloam, as well as in his testimony before the Pharisees ("He is a prophet" and "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!").

It appears that after his being healed, he is ready to believe in whatever Jesus tells him to believe. For when Jesus asks him if he believes in the Son of Man, he replies, "Who is he, sir? Tell me so that I may believe in him." I think that when one sees a true and miraculous healing from God, that often prepares one to believe in Jesus. But without seeing the power of God, many will not be open, especially in a time like now where skepticism and doubt reign.

The purpose of this healing (or any true healing) is not to glorify the person healed nor the person whom God uses as the agent of healing. It is rather "so that the work of God might be displayed in his (the formerly blind man's) life." (v. 3).

What does perturb me is the response of the Pharisees to this man's healing. Instead of rejoicing with him, they are critical of Jesus ("This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath") and of the formerly blind man ("You were steeped in sin at birth; how dare you lecture us?"). Their interpretation of Scripture didn't allow for Jesus nor for Jesus to work outside of the box of their understanding.

Sadly, this Pharisaical spirit still exists today. I grew up with it. I find it easy to point fingers at certain theological camps for their disconnect of the first century church with today's church. However, any of us, myself included, can fall into it. One interesting phenomenon throughout church history is that those who have lived and experienced some major change are often the most closed to change in the next generation. For example, Reformers like Calvin and Luther and their followers persecuted the Anabaptists.

I believe that God is and will continue doing a major work in France. This is exciting. However, my concern is that the biggest critics of the new thing that God is doing will be leaders of already existing churches, as the new move might not fit into their theological or experiential box.

May God help us (and me) to see where He is moving and get in line with it, rather than expecting God to move in line with our ideas and projects. May we help the blind to see, rather than be those who currently see, but become blind to what God is doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home