Sunday, July 24, 2005

An American in Paris...wins the Tour de France

Earlier today Lance Armstrong won his 7th consecutive Tour de France. This was the 10th time that an American has won the race, as Greg LeMond won it 3 years, including my first Tour de France (i.e, during my first year in France in 1989). To be honest, while I've lived in Paris for 11 years, I've only see the finals live in Paris only once. The other years, I've watched them on television.

I've heard that the Tour de France was big news in the U.S. this year. I'm not sure why this year, although it might have been because of Armstrong's expected retirement after this race. The event is always big in France. It's one of my annual sports references, like the Rolland Garros (French Open) tennis tournament and the Six Nations (used to only be five when I first was in France) rugby tournament.

I appreciate how he is respected by the French. While his French is far from perfect, he tries his best to understand it and speak it when possible. His admiration by the French goes against the saying "The French hate Americans" that we have heard some Americans say. Certainly, there are prejudiced people in all nations (including the U.S.) and there are a few French that don't like Americans. (Based on the attitudes of some "ugly Americans" that I've seen here, I can see why some French might not like Americans). But I think that Armstrong's hard work, yet uncocky attitude, as well as his respect for the French and France have gone a long way in having the French respect and even like him. He is a good model for other foreigners like myself who are working in France.

Bravo Lance! Way to retire while in your prime, rather than drag it out when you're on your way downhill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home