Neighbors
Today I ran into our across the hall neighbor as we were getting in the elevator. I hadn't seen her, her husband, or any of her 3 kids since we returned. She looked a little stressed, as she was trying to get her teenage son enrolled in a French school after having spent the past year in Algeria. Because of his studies in Algeria, we didn't see as much of them last year as we did in the previous 5 years.
She mentioned that they would be moving to the 17th district of Paris. For Paris, this is a pretty far move from our district. I was sad to hear this news, as they have been excellent neighbors during the past 6 years. Even though they are Muslims and we are Christians, we have gotten along well. We've even had keys to their apartment and watered plants for them in past summers when they were in Algeria.
Our apartment building doesn't have that much movement in terms of people coming in or moving out. That's one nice thing about it: the stability.
Except for the 11+ years that I lived at 2914 Concord Street in Trenton, Michigan (1968-1979), I've never lived in any house or apartment longer than I have this one.
When we moved here after returning to Paris in 2000, we had no kids and the apartment was big for 2 people. Now it's small and tight for our growing family of 3 kids, all who were conceived and have started their lives here. This is the only home that they have known.
We're blessed to live in a neighborhood that we feel is ours. We know where things are and where to get things done more and more. Through our son bumping his head on the corner of our glass tabletop last week, we learned where the closest E.R. room for children is. I got my haircut yesterday at a neighborhood hair salon where I can just go in and all I need to tell him is how short to cut the sideburns. My wife has had 3 physical therapy sessions this week just around the corner from our apartment We know where the post office, grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, newsstands, schools, and parks are located. We recognize by faces and sometimes by name the people who serve us in these places. One great thing about Paris is being able to walk to most places.
Having our 2 oldest children in a semi-private school has brought other people in our lives who don't live in our immediate neighborhood, but in other neighborhoods close to us. Our participation in the swim classes has also done this.
I've heard it said that the Bible begins with a garden (the Garden of Eden in Genesis) and ends in a city (the new Jerusalem at the end of Revelation). While I appreciate the countryside, I enjoy living in a city.
I've been reading and meditating on the book of Jonah recently. I find that it shows God's love and desire to show compassion for cities, even evil ones like Ninevah. Even though it's evil had risen up before God, God wanted to show it grace and mercy if the people would repent of their evil ways. God is slow to anger and rich in mercy.
How I want my neighbors here to taste and see that the Lord is good and to experience his grace, mercy, and love. We're here to be part of this however we are able.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home