Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Wifi and going wireless

Yesterday I finally installed a wireless modem in our apartment. I'm using it as I type this entry. It's nice to have at least one less cord cluttering up our apartment. My wife calls all these telephone and electric cords "tripwires," as someone tends to hit them.

My current computer, which I bought less than 2 years ago, has a wifeless modem built in. However, it wasn't until last month at the Emches in Georgia where I finally hooked into their wireless network and experienced the advantages of wireless.

One reason why I didn't want to go wireless was a fear of having my computer hacked into. I felt that it wasn't secure and that having data pass through an ethernet cable or telephone line would be more secure.

However, I've known in my heart that wireless was the way of the future. Despite this understanding, I hesitated to go this way until experiencing the advantages of wireless.

In my reading about Emergent Church (or whatever one wants to call it) and the criticisms of this movement, I've sensed that some leaders are like I was with wireless. They feel more secure with the systems that they know, even if they feel that things must change in the future. I certainly don't feel the need to defend or even agree with everything about the Emergent Church movement. However, I think that it is attempting to grapple with real issues in the 21st century, rather than just trying to continue to maintain certain manmade programs and traditions.

The bottom line for me is effective communication. Wifi allows me to communicate more effectively and easily than having to be attached to an ethernet cable. One of the bottom line issues for the Church is how to most effectively communicate the timeless truths of the Good News.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee- I think all modems are indeed wifeless! (2nd paragraph). Glad you survived your furlough!
Cheryl

1:39 PM  
Blogger Tgears said...

My computer is wifeless too! She used it once years ago and I now have a password to get in so that I don't have to reformat the entire hard drive!!
She has full access to me though. . .yeah, baby!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home