Monday, January 08, 2007

New computer

A couple nights ago, I was going to blog when suddenly the screen went black. It's been black since then, even after multiple attempts on my part to try to sign on. The computer is just over 2 years old, although it's gotten lots of use on both sides of the Atlantic. I have transported it all over Paris for meetings and it's been a workhorse. This is our first HP and it's been much better than the last 2 lemons that we purchased from Toshiba.

I took it to the computer store Surcouf this afternoon to get it checked out. The technicien gave some bad news: the screen is shot and needs to be replaced. Fortunately, it's still under the extended warranty from Best Buy that I purchased in late 2004. Thus, I should be able to get the computer replaced when we're in the U.S. again later this year.

Unfortunately, I can't wait that long. A lot of my work involves needed to use the computer for communication, finances, accessing information, etc.

So I found an ACER on special. It's not as cheap as it would have been in the U.S. However, it has a special on an additional 3 year warranty after the normal 1 year one. At the rate that we use computers, an extended warrantly basically covers its own costs in repairs.

I've been uploading some programs and files this evening. Fortunately, after the hard lesson of the computer crash in late 2004, I've consistently been backing up files. So very little has been lost (and no photos!)

Once I found out that the computer could not be repaired

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home