Inauguration of new President
As I type, France's new President, 52 year old Nicolas Sarkozy, is being driven down les Champs-Elysées Avenue in a parade. Today he takes over for Jacques Chirac, who has been President the past 12 years.
After living 13 years in Paris, I often take living in a capital city for granted. For example, as I look at the TV, he's right in front of the tomb of the unknown soldier under the Arch of Triumph. I've been under there a lot of times. But seeing him light the flame is another reminder that this is just 4-5 miles from where we live.
Certainly, Sarkozy is not perfect. However, there is much about him that I like. He's the first French President who is the son of immigrants, as his parents are both from Hungary. I like his desire to allow those who work harder and longer to make more money. I like his mindset of needing to do more with less people and finances. He seems to understand that capital can flow in and out of countries, so that France needs to find ways to attract capital to its borders, rather than having such high charges and taxes that make it prohibitive to start and/or maintain businesses here. I like that he says what he thinks very clearly and I believe that he actually intends to do what he says. I like his openness to the church and have lots of hope about this.
Even though I'm not French, I still love hearing its national anthem "Le Marseillais" played. If I even leave France, I'll probably get weepy whenever I hear it.
At this time of transition, I believe it really important that he be supported in prayer. I think that his positioning as President is an important component in what God is going to do here. For this reason, he will be attacked on many different fronts.
A friend sent an e-mail saying that one group is threatening terrorist attacks in Paris because of his clearly state position of being sympathetic to Israel. This threat also is a subject for prayer.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home