A Fatherless Generation
Tonight I'm watching the 4th episode of the popular series in France Star Academy. The StarAc is an intensive training school in the arts that is trying to raise up a new generation of French-speaking artists. Each season lasts 17 weeks, until there is just one of the students left as the overall winner. We've watched it pretty faithfully during the previous 4 seasons and it has helped us to learn about French music. Our son is also learning a lot of French songs in his preschool, which he tries to sing at home.
Earlier tonight, one of the students, Gregoire, sang a duet with Julie Zanetti. Their song was Calagero's "Si Seulement Je Pouvais Lui Manquer" ("If Only I Was Able to Be Missed By Him." The words are lyrics of a child to his absentee father. This child's desire is that his/her child miss him/her.
Before the song, it was pointed out that Gregoire isn't currently in relation with his father. He dedicated the song to his father and hoped that he was watching.
I believe that this by and large is picture of this generation of young people. They are distant from their fathers, largely due to the inattention of their fathers.
I'm thankful for the attention of my father throughout the years. He even telephoned earlier tonight. He's now 72 years old. He definitely has become a better father over the years. Despite growing up as the son of busy pastor, I never felt neglected by him, as I felt that we spent a lot of time together. However, in recent years, I have felt that his heart was with me in a greater way, as well as an unconditional acceptance that I didn't feel was there in my childhood. He is now an excellent father, and grandfather to boot.
One reason why I faithfully do this blog almost every day is to check in with my parents. They have parented not only my brother and I, but many other adopted children and grandchildren in their various ministries in Michigan, New Jersey, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
I was glad to have significant time with both my children today. Besides 2 round trips to our son's school today, we also had 1 1/2 hours in a local pool together. My daugher had a hard time getting to sleep, so I brought her out and she laid on the sofa next to me watching Star Academy. I definitely want them to feel that their father thought of them and missed them when he wasn't with them. For this is definitely the case.
Si Seulement Je Pouvais Lui Manquer
Il suffirait simplement
Qu'il m'appelle
Qu'il m'appelle
D'où vient ma vie
Certainement pas du ciel
Lui raconter mon enfance
Son absence
Tous les jours
Comment briser le silence
Qui l'entoure
Aussi vrai que de loin
Je lui parle
J'apprends tout seul
A faire mes armes
Aussi vrai qu' j'arrête pas
D'y penser
Si seulement
Je pouvais lui manquer
Est ce qu'il va me faire un signe
Manquer d'amour
N'est ce pas un crime
J'ai qu'une prière à lui adresser
Si seulement
Je pouvais lui manquer
Je vous dirais simplement
Qu'à part ça
Tout va bien
A part d'un père
Je ne manque de rien
Je vis dans un autre monde
Je m'accroche tous les jours
Je briserai le silence
Qui m'entoure
Aussi vrai que de loin
Je lui parle
J'apprends tout seul
A faire mes armes
Aussi vrai qu' j'arrête pas
D'y penser
Si seulement
Je pouvais lui manquer
Est-ce qu'il va me faire un signe
Manquer d'amour
N'est ce pas un crime
J'ai qu'une prière à lui adresser
Si seulement
Je pouvais lui manquer

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home