la Fonderie: Sesson 1, Verla Teachworth
I just got home from session 1 of the Fonderie's first meeting in a series of 5. It was terrific. We only had a list of 13 signed up ahead of time, we had around 40 participants today. I was happy because some of them came in part because of the postal and e-mail mailings that I sent. The food was great, people mixed together around the tables, Jim gave a good teaching, etc. Jim's talk was based on the parable of the talents and the story of Mary and Martha. I helped set up and take down materials, as well as collect money and registations.
A young artist named Raphael Canard shared some of his poetry, as well as his testimony. One point that stuck with me from it was that "Pastors need to study the arts and artists need to study theology."
One thing that I like about many emergent churches, as well as ministries like la Fonderie, is the wrestling with how to implement the creative arts and artists into ministry in the church, as well as outside of it. Some Christian artists have a call to use their craft inside the church doors, while others have the call to those outside the church doors. Both need to be acknowledged, affirmed, and encouraged.
On a sad note, I learned of the death of friend and prayer supporter Verla Teachworth from White Lake, Michigan on Tuesday October 17. She was one of three "honorary " grandmothers at our wedding. She is one of those heroines who interceded and stood behind us and others involved in world outreach. Without friends like Verla, we wouldn't have been able to last here for so long. Thanks Verla, for all you did for global outreach. I look forward to seeing you on the other side.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home