God's people
Yesterday (Easter Monday) afternoon, we went to the Buttes-Chaumont Park in Paris. We often go here on holidays, as it is a beautiful park and our kids enjoy it. They got to do a pony ride, several rounds on the merry-go-round, and a round on the swings (which you have to pay for in this park).
We've never seen this park so crowded before. The combination of a beautifully sunny day and a short holiday weekend were probably the primary reasons.
Another reason was that it was the last day of the Jewish Pessah. During our wanderings in the park, we ran into songwriter/singer/worship leader Corrine LaFitte, who is a member of our church, as well as a major figure on the Francophone worship scene. She has a special place in her heart for Israel and the Jewish people. Some of her songs reflect this. She told us that there would be a special feast last evening in Jewish homes, which is one reason why there were so many Jewish people dressed extremely sharp and enjoying the park. There are many Jewish people who live in that neighborhood.
My wife has always had a special place in her heart for Jewish people. In fact, one initial reason that she got interested in learning languages was a book that she read in junior high about a Jewish family who was displaced. She seems to naturally bump into Jewish people in Paris.
My first memorable contact with Jewish people was when I was a student at the University of Michigan. In my dorm were a number of JAPs, which is short for Jewish American Princesses. The majority of them were from New York or New Jersey and were smart cookies, as well as very pretty. There was a guy on my floor from New York named Dave who also is Jewish, as well as another Jewish guy named Bobby. At one point, I became a bit antiSemitic. Fortunately, God convicted me of this and I apologized to Dave. He accepted this apology and eventually introduced me to another Christian girl who he knew from another dorm. As I knew that I would be moving to New Jersey and not returning to to U-Michigan after that semester, I didn't pursue asking that girl out. However, I didn't contact Dave after moving to NJ, even though it wouldn't probably have been that far to see him in NY.
In January 1995, I took a trip from France to Israel to visit with a group of pastors. It was a whirlwind trip, but I enjoyed getting to see places like the Sea of Galilee, the Dead Sea, and Jerusalem. It was wild to visit the land where the majority of biblical events take place.
Anyway, I was quite moved to see all the Jewish men of different ages wearing their yamicas and all the Jewish women sharply dressed today. I was reminded of Chuck Pierce's exhortation to pray that the next President of France is someone who is sympathetic to Israel. From what I hear and read, many Jews are nervous about the political climate in France, particularly after the torture and murder of a young Jewish man several months ago.
May God accomplish His purposes with this special people. May their hearts and minds turn to Him!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home