Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Adams Grows in Faith and in Football

I'm a huge Michigan Wolverine football fan. My wife and parents can attest to that. Even though I'm an ocean away, I faithfully check on Saturday nights on the Internet to see how my guys have done.

I was thrilled to see this article on U-M defensive back Jamar Adams and his faith.

Part of the article says:

Faith led Jamar Adams to the University of Michigan. So it should be no surprise that his faith, and goodwill, hasn't stopped guiding his life past his recruitment. "My decision [to come to Michigan] was kind of awkward; mine was really prayer. I prayed and God led me, and I truly believe that my spiritual life has grown since I have been here. With teammates like Jason Avant and other guys, I have the opportunity to grow spiritually here," said Adams at Monday's press conference.

Adams is one of many people on the team who have felt the influence of captain Jason Avant, both on and off the field. "He just always keeps me encouraged, he talks to me a lot about believing in myself and believing in the spirit inside of me." Adams attends service. with his teammate Avant every Sunday at True Worship Church in Detroit. Lately, some of their other teammates have started to tag along with Jason, Jamar and running back Alijah Bradley. "Other teammates are coming, Steve Breaston's been at this church the last two weeks ... he's playing well too," laughed Adams. "Morgan Trent's been coming the last two weeks and he's playing well too. So it's been a lot of teammates that come to church with us. I think our team has a lot of spiritual guys. David Schoonover goes to the (Mott Children’s) hospital every Thursday and we have different teammates that go with him to the hospital. Jason Avant and so many different players are spiritually grounded and spiritually based. I think that helps you with football and it helps you in life to keep that balance. Too much of football and not enough spirituality, I don't think your body can handle that. Each game of football is so demanding, I think you have to have a balance."

Adams has also found a core group of guys he can stick with and stay of out of trouble which can sometimes ruin a player’s opportunity and bring negative attention to him and the program. "You come back from the games, it's good to have somebody like Jason or my roommate Charles (Charles Stewart, whose father is a minister) that don't want to go out and do whatever, they want to sit in and watch a movie or they want to sit in and read or whatever. It kind of makes it feel like you have somebody there with you, you’re not just alone."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home