Wednesday, November 29, 2006

All for one and one for all

Last night we caught the 2nd half of the film "The Man in the Iron Mask" on French TV. This film, done in English originally, is about King Louis the XIVth of France and his supposedly twin brother Philippe, both of whom are played by Leonard DeCaprio. This film also has Dartagnon, as well as the legendary 3 Musketeers. The novel "The 3 Musketeers" was by French author Alexandre Dumas, whose name is honored by a street and metro stop in our part of Paris.

It was a reminder to me of why the French do so well in fencing, both men and women. For this is part of French history.

What struck me the most was the unity among the 3 Musketeers. During the past week, several French friends have stated directly that the French tend to "raller" (i.e., complain loudly) when they disagree with something. The strikes that take place are an example of this complaining on a larger scale.

There are times when I think we need to "raller," rather than just accept injustice. This complaining about injustice can be prophetic.

However, I think that there also are times where a contentious spirit that complains about everything, especially the small stuff, isn't helpful, and is often harmful. Sometimes we just need to forge ahead despite the obvious wrongness of some situations.

This is where I like the unified actions of the 3 Musketeers. In my experience, I often need just 1 or 2 others with me to have the confidence to do what I feel what God wants me to do. My tendency is to be an "early adapter" and to quickly hop on board of a new plan if it resonates within me.

Today I had a meeting with Jim Beise, founder of la fonderie. One reason why I enjoy being part of this ministry is because I believe that artists and their ministries inside and especially outside of the Church are critical to touching post-Christian and post-Christendom places like Paris.

Unity among our team will be important no matter in what direction(s) this ministry develops. That in itself speaks today, as it did during the days of the kings of France.

I read in a book today that one tiger can defeat one lion, but five lions can defeat five tigers because the lions work together better than the tigers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home