Preparing for tomorrow's opening night of new exhibit
Today (Wednesday) I spent several hours at le Pave d'Orsay helping get ready for the exposition of photographer Thomas Nintcheu titled "Les Femmes de Lumiere--Part 1" ("The Women of Light--Part 2"). Having never done this before, it was interesting seeing how this is all done.
At supper tonight, my wife asked how long it took to hang the paintings? The short answer would be that the actual act of hanging the 12 paintings could probably be done in 5 minutes.
However, the whole process of getting ready for the exhibit takes much longer than that For we had to measure the width of different sections of the wall and figure out how to space them evenly. This involved a tape measure and my mind as a calculator. Another step was having Thomas space the photos around the room in an order that made sense in terms of the content of them. After moving the long hooks to the appropriately measured spots, we hung each painting there. Jim then climbed on the ladder in order to adjust the spot lights on the ceiling toward the photos. He was still doing this when I left to return home for supper.
The next time I'm in an art gallery, I'll be looking at how the airwork is hung.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home