Sunday, October 09, 2005

Church visit

This morning I visited the Reformed Church in the Marais, which is where intern Christina is based. Having spoken to potential intern Anne on the phone yesterday, I figured I had better experience one of their Sunday worship services to be able to better explain the church. Our whole family was going to attend, but our son still has been feverous today, so my wife stayed home with the children.

Enjoyed an excellent sermon by Pastor Gilles on "the shield of faith" as part of a series on the believer's spiritual armor in Ephesians 6. The primary reading was from Psalm 91, which is about the shadow of the almighty. One great point was that our faith is not something that we should use to run away from problems or conflict. It is something that will help us get through these difficult situations.

Also enjoyed singing French words to the tunes of "the Gloria Patri," "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God," and "O Sacred Head Thou Wounded." The style of this morning's service was more classical and traditional. Sometimes people think that the Holy Spirit is only present at services with contemporary musical styles. However, I sensed God's presence at this service as well.

Appreciated the fellowship time afterwards. They served coffee, tea, fruit juice, and some cookies in the sanctuary. I estimate about 40-50 people were present at the service. Will look forward to visiting again with the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home