Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Broken systems need resolutions

We had our usual weekly Tuesday morning staff meeting today. It was fairly productive, although we were missing a couple of the key leaders. It's a challenging time, as I see a broken system that doesn't just need to get tinkered with, but totally revamped. Otherwise, I see it inevitable that certain leaders will crash and burn, as they are supporting burdens and moving a paces that are impossible to maintain for the long-term.

In some ways, I see this as similar to some of the situations in France that have recently exploded in the last 12 days. It had been speculated that France's younger and immigrant populations were powderkegs, due to what appears to be a bleak and hopeless future, as well as lack of equal opportunities for education, housing, and jobs. However, these root problems haven't been dealt with. It was basically business as usual.

This is an important time for self-examination here in France. It is being suggested that it is associations on the local level that have the most potential to calm spirits and bring solutions. I believe that these include churches.

I believe that if the Church (and individual churches) are listening to God and to their young people, they will be able to make the changes necessary for effective ministry without having to go through a crisis situation. This will entail making preventative changes, which may be painful in the short-term. However, not to make these changes will result in more pain and damage in the future.

I just heard on the news that the rioting that began 12 days ago in Clichy-sous-Bois (a northeastern Paris suburb) has now touched 374 different communities all around France. Over 5,000 cars have been burned (which should increase our car insurance premium next year).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from afar! You all have been in my thoughts and prayers lately. Your family pops into my mind at random times, I just know to pray. There is no other explaination. I hope all is well :-) Blessings!!

Candi Fender ><>

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home