Monday, February 26, 2007

Veggie Tales

We're now halfway through our children's 2 week winter ski vacation. As one of my colleagues and I joked, we're skiing in the Paris subways during this break. We're sticking around home this break, although we've done some local excursions so far.

Yesterday I went on a father/eldest son and daughter excursion to downtown Paris on the bus. After going to the bank, we went to BHV to purchase several wooden slats for one of our sofas. These boards get broken through the use of this sofa as we invite and entertain guests in our living room. We then ate lunch at McDonalds, an ever popular activity for the kids. Then we checked out the small sled hill that the city of Paris set up next to the temporary ice rink right in front of Hôtel de Ville, the city hall for all of Paris. Our son in particular loved getting to sled, which is probably the closest thing to skiing that we'll get to do.

Probably one of the best investments that I will have made in 2007 is the purchase of the DVD player that was dezoned in order to play any DVD in the world. Our kids have been watching lots of Veggie Tales DVDs this school break.

A favorite of both our kids is the most recent one featuring the story of Gideon (from the book of Judges), as well as the story of George Muller's work of faith in creating a home for orphans in Bristol, England.

Big Idea Productions continues to put out quality videos that interest both children and their parents. They are well written, with lots of humor and references to other films, songs, etc. They are sold in stores like Walmart, as well as Christian bookstores.

I wish that they were dubbed into French, as they would help make Sunday School more interesting for children here.

One thing that I wish our kids had more exposure to was the great children's programs that some U.S. churches have. I was amazed at some of the facilities that I saw this past summer. Our church here doesn't have them. However, our thorough colletion of Veggie Tales helps our kids remember some of the Bible stories

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home