Friends
Yesterday afternoon my wife was able to get together with Leena, a friend from college and bridesmaid in our wedding. We were able to visit her and her family earlier this month in their home in this part of New Jersey.
Yesterday morning we went swimming in Hoffman Lake through the kindness of Jennifer and Sandra, both of whom have memberships there. I've known Sandra for about 15 years now. Our son enjoys being with her son Andrew, who is like a big brother to him.
Last night we had supper at the home of John and Sandra. John and I were classmates 26 years ago at Northeastern. We're from the same church here, but last night was the first time to catch up on some of the major life events in his life in many years.
Part of the nature of our ministry is having friendships with many different people in many different places around the world. Certainly the level of depth of each friendship is different. However, it can be frustrating to not be able to go deeper with some friendships because of just having limited time and energy for them.
As we are nearing the end of our scheduled time in New Jersey, I'm feeling a little panicked about getting to see everyone whom we should see or want to see a first time (or second time). People seem to generally be understanding about our limited time. But it's still frustrating to us.
One song that our kids have gotten to enjoy this trip is Andrew Gold's "Thank You for Being a Friend."
Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down a road and back again
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant
I'm not ashamed to say
I hope it always will stay this way
My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
Thank you for being a friend
Thank you for being a friend
Thank you for being a friend
Thank you for being a friend
If it's a car you lack
I'd surely buy you a Cadillac
Whatever you need any time of the day or night
I'm not ashamed to say
I hope it always will stay this way
My hat is off, won't you stand up and take a bow
And when we both get older
With walking canes and hair of gray
Have no fear even though it's hard to hear
I will stand real close and say
Thank you for being a friend
Thank you for being a friend
Thank you for being a friend
Thank you for being a friend
And when we die
And float away
Into the night
The milky way
You'll hear me call
As we ascend
I'll say your name
Then once again
Thank you for being a friend
My belief system doesn't see people floating into the milky way after they die, but rather people will be with or without God for eternity. This is both a happy and sobering thought, depending on the relationship that my friends have with God the Father. Many of our friends in Paris are probably not in a place in their relationship with God right now where I would be sure to see them again after this life. That is a sad thought. But I hope that many of them will become friends of God during the next season of our lives back there.
However, I do like the idea of friendships even going beyond just this life and world. There will be a time when I won't be rushed with the details of life when I'll be able to have all the time I want for these friendships. In the meantime, we try to enjoy the gifts of specific friends that God does bring into our lives.
1 Comments:
Wow, I have never thought about the idea of our friendships lasting into eternity....it certainly makes me think about life in a new fresh perspective.
Last night I found out a girl I have been witnessing to got saved. She has been in an abusive relationship for three yrs, is 21 years old, and has 2 small children. A typical story, however now that she knows the Lord, I have hope her firm foundation will carry her through.
My heart is encouraged and enlarged when I think of all of you!!!!!!
Your fellow artist on the field,
Camille
Post a Comment
<< Home